Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I graduated from the YouTube school of makeup

I've recently come off of a very serious, coma-inducing makeup binge. I blame it on the lack of beautification obsession I guess every average teenage girl has. Let's just say, I barely combed my hair in high school. It was a rare occasion if you saw it in anything other than a ponytail. Makeup was definitely out of the question. So now that I've become an adult and got a hold of some disposable income, I've lost my mind. Only problem was, I had all this makeup with no earthly idea of how to use it. Cue another wonderful discovery. Makeup tutorials! Short YouTube videos, usually 5 to 10 minutes in length of some chick showing you how to wear or what to do with this and that. When I needed to know how to put on false eyelashes, there was a tutorial for that. How to groom eyebrows, got you covered and if I wanted to do psychedelic rainbow eyes, I had plenty how-to's to choose from. But after watching haul after haul, I discovered something was off. A lot of the girls' makeup looked more drag queen in heat then natural beauty. I found some good stuff by a few people who were actually makeup artists. They had helpful tips on how to do real makeup but the majority not so much . Some girls try to play it off and do "looks" with themes "inspired" by movies or music videos. Some girls just straight up pile it on until they hit the metal in the bottom of the eyeshadow pot and have the nerve to call it their "everyday look". I'm worried. I'm sure there are a lot of girls assuming that it's cool to go to school with a "Kim Kardashian" smoky eye or costume makeup. The girls in the video know that shit is coming off as soon as the red light goes dim on their camera but what about me? I believe I'm going to ride to the grocery store looking like I just graduated from Sasha Fierce's Beauty School for Dummies thank you very much. I'm just saying, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but if can't see with that eye your real face underneath all that slap, it's time to lay off.

No comments: